Congratulations on deciding that you want to live in Montana. Below is a smart buyer checklist for your single-family residential home, condo, townhouse, or log home.
- Hire a home inspector and order a complete home inspection with a radon test
- Meet with several lenders to compare and determine the best overall mortgage for you and your family
- Get a copy of the HOA (Home Owners Association) rules and regulations for the subdivision you are purchasing in and read and understand it
- Get a copy of the zoning and covenants and read and understand it
- Check for Easements or Encroachments affecting property
- Call and get quotes for homeowners insurance. You need to make sure you can get home owners insurance on the property.
- Determine if there are any water rights to the property
- If you are on a well then you need to receive all of the most recent well inspection reports
- Request the utility bills for the property
- Request the prior year real estate tax bills
- Check to make sure you are not in a flood zone
- Make sure you can get title insurance
- Check out the local schools that your kids will be going to if you purchase the home
- Make sure you know the boundaries of the property. A survey from a professional survey company will provide you the peace of mind you need to know your boundaries.
Here are some additional links for Buyers.